Dedicated Canton Child Custody Attorney Aids Divorcing Parents

Northeast Ohio lawyer offers guidance on residence and visitation terms

Though custody and visitation questions are supposed to be determined by what is in the child’s best interests, deciding what that means specifically can be complicated. Douglas D. Jones Co., LPA in Canton assists parents on a full range of matters pertaining to the challenges that arise when parents live apart. If you’re going through a divorce and looking to establish a suitable parenting time plan, my firm will learn what is most important to you and your child and work tirelessly to foster a healthy environment for them. Likewise, if you need to change your current custody terms or enforce the order that is presently in place, you can trust me to handle your case with the utmost compassion, skill and professionalism.

Effective firm takes on matters involving legal and physical custody

Two types of custody determinations must be made when a parenting plan is created during a divorce. Physical (or residential) custody refers to where the child’s primary home will be. This can depend on various factors, including where the child will go to school and how far the parents live from each other. Legal custody relates to the authority that parents have over their child’s medical treatment, religious upbringing and other matters. To help you understand what options are available, my firm provides knowledgeable counsel on:

  • Joint and primary arrangements — In many cases, legal custody is granted jointly so that both parents have a say in important decisions that affect their child’s well-being. As far as physical custody, parties can arrange for sole parenting (the child primarily stays in one home), shared parenting (parents have joint residential custody and the child spends substantial time in both homes) and split parenting (where both parents have primary residential custody of at least one child).
  • Visitation — When one parent has primary physical custody, the parenting plan establishes visitation rights for the other parent. For example, a son or daughter might spend alternate weekends and one night a week at the home of the parent who does not have sole custody.
  • Factors — Parents are usually the foremost authorities on what is best for their children, but sometimes negotiations don’t lead to consensus. Should a custody decision go to court, the judge can look at anything they believe is relevant, but key factors usually include each parent’s ability to meet their child’s needs, the potential effects on the child’s education, the child’s routine and preference, as well as if he or she is mature enough to make a well-reasoned choice.

Every family law client deserves attentive, individualized service, and that’s exactly what you can expect from me as you look to develop a suitable parenting time schedule. From your initial consultation to the resolution of your case, I will use my knowledge, skill and experience to help you establish an environment where your child can thrive. Even after an order is issued setting forth custody and visitation instructions, I advocate for parents in enforcement actions against fathers and mothers who fail to meet their obligations.     

Knowledgeable adviser outlines grandparents’ rights

Changes in society have led to an increased focus on the custody and visitation rights of fathers and grandparents. Ohio law does not favor mothers or fathers in these determinations, so decisions on what is in a child’s best interests should not be affected by outdated biases. Grandparents can seek visitation rights if they cannot see their grandchild due to a death, divorce or a situation where the young person’s parents were never married. If you have been kept away from the young person who means so much to you, I can advise as to whether legal relief is available.

Skillful litigator handles relocation requests and other modifications

Over time, circumstances can change greatly for both parents and children. Accordingly, existing parenting time guidelines might require adjustment. In these cases, you should never act on your own even if you believe a modification to your custody arrangements is warranted. This is particularly important if a parent with residential custody is looking to relocate to a new home because of a new job, family responsibilities or some other reason. To do this, you must file a Notice of Intent to Relocate, explain to the court why you’re moving and demonstrate what steps you’ll take to preserve your co-parent’s right to have frequent, meaningful contact with the child you share. 

Contact a compassionate Ohio child custody attorney for a free consultation  

At Douglas D. Jones Co., LPA, I assist northeast Ohio parents with issues relating to child custody and visitation arrangements. Please call 330-649-2372 or contact me online to arrange a free initial consultation. My office is located in Canton. 

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and our attorney will contact you.


Our Office